Dentures are removable dental appliances that replace missing teeth. Patients who have lost some or all of their teeth, whether it be from decay, an accident or disease, will benefit from dentures.
Patients, who suffer from missing teeth, may think dentures are high maintenance and will be uncomfortable. Although dentures do take some getting used to, the benefits outweigh any temporary discomfort. These patients should be aware of the numerous advantages they will gain from wearing dentures before making a decision. If you are unsure of a dental procedure, you should always ask your dentist for more clarity on the procedure and its benefits.
The Benefits of Wearing Dentures
- Modern dentures are designed to be comfortable, as well as perform the functions of natural teeth. It may take a few dentist visits to get the correct fit, but it is a small price to pay for renewed confidence in chewing and talking.
- You no longer have to have restrictions on what you can eat. With dentures, you can eat all the foods you used to eat before you lost your teeth. However, your dentist may advise what foods to eat in moderation to preserve your dentures.
- Dentures restore your smile and eliminate any social awkwardness you may have felt about the gaps in your teeth.
- Without your teeth, your facial muscles will start to sag. Dentures replace the support in your face, once created by your natural teeth, to help keep your facial appearance and prevent you from looking older.
- The loss of teeth also means oral bone structure will begin to perish. Dentures decrease the rate at which these bones disintegrate.
- If you have any remaining teeth, partial dentures prevent excessive wear and tear on your natural teeth, as chewing forces are evenly distributed to all teeth.
- All traditional dentures are removable, which allows for proper cleaning.
- A lack of teeth can impact the way you pronounce words. Dentures eliminate this problem and make it easier to speak.
- Dentures are available in natural-looking porcelain or plastic materials that create a natural-looking smile.
- Dentures are a cost-effective treatment option, especially if there are natural teeth still present in the mouth.